Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's A Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. . .

. . . even without brown sugar.

It's been snowing most of the day, with much more forecasted for tonight.  It took me almost 45 minutes to drive the 6 miles to work because of the snow.  And my son has been full of whines, pouts and "no"s all day.  So, yes, chocolate chip cookies sounded like a good "pick me up."

Only after I started mixing the batter did I realize that I was out of brown sugar.  Grrr!  But Betty Crocker came to my rescue and told me I could substitute white sugar and molasses.  Cookies saved! And they turned out pretty well, all things considered.  They seem a little darker and sweeter than normal, but they definitely hit the spot.  Here's my recipe:



Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 4 dozen

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (OR 3/4 granulated sugar and 1 1/2 T molasses)
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 oz (1 bag) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.  Beat sugars, butter, vanilla and egg until creamy.  Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.  Sitr in chocolate chips.  Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes.  Cool 1-2 minutes and remove to wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment